Lifebuoy aims to provide affordable and accessible hygiene solutions that enable people to lead a life free from hygiene related worries, everywhere, regardless of the boundaries of nationality, religion and socio-economic status.
The 50-year heritage
Lifebuoy is one of Unilever's oldest brands. Lifebuoy Royal Disinfectant Soap was launched in 1894 as an affordable new product in the UK, to support people in their mission for better personal hygiene. Soon after launch, Lifebuoy soap travelled across the world, reaching countries such as Pakistan, where even today it is still the market-leading brand.
Lifebuoy on a mission
According to the World Health Organisation, diarrhoea is the single largest cause of death, killing 2.2 million people every year. In Pakistan, a large number of children are also effected by this fatal disease every year. It’s been estimated that if everyone washed their hands properly at key times during the day, up to half of all childhood deaths from diarrhoea could be avoided. Health and Hygeine education is the core Lifebuoy’s plans.
In addition to its range of bar soaps, Lifebuoy now introduces its Superfast Handwash with Active 4 that gives 99.9% Germ Kill in just 10 seconds. Available in all 4 variants, Total, Nature, Care and Activefresh.
Did you know?
Lifebuoy has always played a role in times of crisis, helping to prevent the spread of germs and disease. In 2004, Lifebuoy distributed 4 million soap bars Pakistan wide. Same year, Lifebuoy Partnered with Save the Children, an NGO of the Bill Gates Foundation and educated young mothers about health and hygiene, in the rural areas of Pakistan.
In 2005, over 200 000 bars of Lifebuoy soap were donated to UNICEF and the International Committee of the Red Cross to support their earthquake relief operations in Northern India and Pakistan. Lifebuoy have also Partnered with UNICEF by training teams and sending them to the earthquake hit areas for relief and health education.
The way forward
For the past few years, major changes have been made to the classic Lifebuoy soap bar to ensure that it provides improved hygiene protection and a more enjoyable healthy washing experience for its billions of consumers.
- Lifebuoy soap's classic hard red brick shape has been replaced with a new signature Lifebuoy shape. The new shape makes the bar easier to grip and use
- The Lifebuoy Brand team have developed a new formulation providing even better germ protection which creates a rich lather on the skin
- Lifebuoy soap's characteristic medicated, carbolic smell has been replaced with a more enjoyable and contemporary 'health' fragrance
- Lifebuoy is now a toilet soap with 2 more variants offering specific multiple benefits
- White offers moisturizing and a distinct fragrance
- Green is anti-acne (neem and lemon)
Lifebuoy has become more than just a bar of soap – today the brand provides hygiene and health solutions for families.
- Today Lifebuoy is mainly sold in Asia and parts of Africa. It is a market leader in every Asian market where it is sold
- Lifebuoy soap has been proven in laboratories to provide 100% more effective germ protection than ordinary soaps
- To date, millions of people in rural and urban Pakistan have experienced the pioneering, Lifebuoy sponsored Health Education programme – the single largest private hygiene education programme in the world
- In 2005, Lifebuoy was awarded a 'Citizen Brand' accolade in Indonesia in recognition of the work the brand has undertaken in hand wash education
Nearly half of the Lifebuoy brand's consumption is in rural Asia, where most of the population live on less than US$1 per day
From our range
Lifebuoy Bodywash care
Lifebuoy Bodywash total
Lifebuoy Handwash care
Lifebuoy Handwash classic
Lifebuoy Handwash fresh
Lifebuoy Handwash nature